Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Great Article

So sorry I haven't updated in a while. I'm in the "home stretch" of the completion of my BA and I'm trying to focus on getting through that, which - along with having a job - leaves me little time to blog. I also know that I haven't answered a bunch of comments and I apologize; I will get to them eventually!

I just wanted to link to an article that I found very interesting. It's not particularly about feminism, but it is about the frum world so I consider it very appropriate.

The article is called "In Search of a Modest Proposal" and discusses many of the intricacies of dating and being single in the frum world. Here's a sample:

"The room was packed, but there’s an unspoken dance that transpires here each week, a kind of subconscious choreography. Men and women aren’t allowed to touch each other, so they must navigate carefully. A woman turned her body just to slide between two men, and they adjusted accordingly."

The only part I didn't like:

"Yet Weissman, while certainly a proponent of women’s education, believes that some women have placed their careers ahead of family life, which makes it harder to find a spouse. “I think feminism is a problem,” he said. “With the opportunity to have a successful career, a woman needs to keep in mind that everything in Judaism centers around the family.”

Yeah. Didn't like that comment.

Anyways, click here to read the rest of the article.

No comments:

Post a Comment