Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Protecting Air, Space, and Cyberspace

You can call me a geek, but occasionally I find myself on Wikipedia, reading information just for the heck of it. Tonight I found myself reading about the United States Air Force when I came upon the following text:

The stated mission of the USAF today is "to deliver sovereign options for the defense of the United States of America and its global interests — to fly and fight in Air, Space, and Cyberspace".

"Ha ha!" I thought to myself. "That's hilarious!" I was sure that it was a joke, which some Wikipedia (which can be edited by anyone) user decided to put in. But I was curious to see if anyone else had ever commented on it so I googled, "USAF Cyberspace," and found out that it's actually true.

Apparently, "
the Air Force has begun reorganizing itself to conduct cyberspace operations."

We've all heard of cyber-crime and most recently in a course I've been taking on terrorism the question of cyber-terrorism and the need to prevent cyber-terrorist attacks came up. I realized that a government institution would have to be set up for that defense, but it never occurred to me that it would be the air force.

I find it "blooodee fasinaitin'," personally.

Note: The awesome graphic is not mine; it belongs to the U.S. Military. I just spruced it up a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment